Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Friends and Heroes

It's hard not to think of Lucas as a baby, because, he IS in fact the baby of the family. Sometimes I am shocked to realize just how grown up he is becoming. In the past few weeks his language has taken another big leap - and he had begun to say much more complex and descriptive things. He even enjoys talking on the phone a little bit and has started "reading" his nighttime books to us instead of the other way around. Every day he says or does something that is more kid than toddler that takes me by surprise.

Lucas has also graduated to another big-boy phenomenon: play dates. Elise has play dates all the time with her buddies and in recent months Lucas started asking why Elise's friends were always coming over and his friends never did. So, we decided that maybe it was time to start. Elise is still best buddies with the kids that she starting having play dates with right around that age (Sara Jane and Audrey). Lucas has two friends from school that he talks about a lot: Connor and Ravi. Every time I pick him up from school, however, he is usually either playing by himself or with Elise and her friends. So I was curious to see how Lucas actually played with his "friends" considering that I have not really seen him interact with other kids much other than his sister.
Lucas and Ravi
Back in February, Connor came over for a play date and the two played shockingly well together. Connor is also almost 6 months older than Lucas (which can make a big difference at this age) but the two of them played and giggled and had a great time. Our test run was a success!
Then a few weeks ago, Luke went over to Ravi's house for a playdate. Again, they got along very well, played well together and Lucas has been begging to go back to Ravi's house nearly every day since!

The final big boy observation I will make for today is that Lucas has developed a strong and sudden interest in Superheroes. I find this odd because it seems like something that would appeal to older kids, but there must be someone in his class who likes superheroes because all we hear about these days is Batman and Spiderman. He is particularity taken with Batman and it just so happens that someone had given us a hand me down Batman shirt which is absolutely his favorite item of clothing - he would wear it every day if he could. I also found a pair of Batman shoes on clearance which he has become completely obsessed with, telling complete strangers "Look at my batman shoes!" until they admire his new kicks. I have a feeling that this obsession is just beginning!

No comments: