Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Toddler Wit and Wisdom: Volume Two

We think that our daughter just might be headed for a future as a stand up comedian. She is constantly cracking us up. Here are a few things she said in the past few weeks:


On Halloween, we were walking around the neighborhood in costume (Ellie was a dragon) and Ellie was very interested in the other children that were dressed up. We passed a little boy in a skeleton costume and she said "That's scary." I said, "You think his costume is scary?" Ellie replies, "He's scary. Ellie is adorable."


We always read a few books before Ellie goes to bed. Like most kids, she likes to hear the same stories over and over again, so she knows most of the words by heart. We often ask her to finish sentences to "help" us read. We were reading her current favorite, Ferdinand, and got to the last page which says "He is very happy" which she has "read" to us dozens of times. One night, Marty asked what it says on the last page and Ellie looks at it as though she was reading it and says "I love me."


Marty and Ellie were raking leaves outside and Ellie was helping stomp down the leaves in the bag. She thought it was fun to be in the bag, so she sat down inside. Marty put his head in the bag with her and Ellie said "I love you Daddy. Go away."


In the car, Ellie commented that the sun was in her eyes. When we turned the corner, the sun wasn't in her eyes anymore:
Ellie: "The sun went away."
Meredith: "The sun isn't in your eyes anymore, but it's still shining."
Ellie: "It's Shoshana?"
Meredith: "No, the sun is shining, not Shoshana."
Ellie: "Where's Shoshana?"
Meredith: "She's at her home in North Carolina."
Ellie: "Why?"
Meredith: "Because that's where she lives."
Ellie: "Why North Carolina?"
Meredith: "Because she wants to live there."
Ellie: "Ohhhhhh. Oma and Opa live in Delaware."


On the way to the aquarium, we stop at a traffic light about 1 mile away from our house. Ellie says
"Are we at the Aquarium?"
"No, not yet."
Pointing across the street she says, "Is it there?"
"No, that's not it." I say and Ellie thinks for a second and says,
"It's too far away."


We were getting ready to go to the Aquarium so Marty was preparing some snacks while Ellie and I were playing downstairs. We came upstairs I asked Marty what he packed for S-N-A-C-K - spelling it out because if you mention a food usually Ellie will say she wants it. So Marty tells me, "I packed A-P-P-L-E-S and G-R-A-P-E-S and "P-A-N-C-A-K-E."
Ellie says "I want some C-E-E-R-O's!".
She may not have spelled it right but she was definitely talking about Cheerios. Marty and I were pretty terrified that she cracked our spelling code talk! For a child that sings her alphabet like LMNOP is one letter, I must say her spelling skills are pretty impressive!

2 comments:

BlondeJustice said...

Ellie ROCKS!

Ryan, Meredith, and Evan said...

That's a riot!! Out of the mouths of babes, right?